So you are off to a 1960s theme party and want to create a hairstyle of the era? If you have shoulder length hair, then the “Flip” is definitely the hairstyle for you! Made famous by Mary Tyler Moore on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” and Elizabeth Montgomery from the popular show “Bewitched”, the “Flip” is certainly much easier to create these days than it was back then. Back in the 1960s, women had to use large curlers and spend considerable time under the hooded hair dryer to create this popular style, but these days we have the luxury of technology with curling wands and hair dryers to help create the look. The “Flip” was basically a style where the hair was backcombed and then flicked outwards at the ends to create a curl. Some women of this era combined the “Flip” with a bouffant style, where the hair was teased and the top layer brushed into a high, round, big barrel-like shape on top of the head. Modern day wearers of the “Flip” have included Hilary Clinton and Barbara Streisand, but there is less of the puffed up and big bouffant look of the 60s.
The “Flip” was and still is a very feminine and flattering style and looks best when the “Flip” ends above the shoulders. Depending on the size of the curl required, use either a small curling wand for a tight curl or a larger one for looser curls.
To achieve this look-
- Ensure your hair is free of too much product as this could make it hard to achieve the “Flip”. Perhaps use a light mousse.
- Use a curling iron to flip the curl outwards. It is best to do this in sections. Use hairspray if necessary to hold it in place.
- (If your hair is too long it may not be possible to create the “Flip” as the curls may fall out.)
- To create a “bouffant” you need to tease or backcomb the hair from around the crown and then smooth over with a brush. Add hairspray to keep the style intact.
- The 1960s was also a time of the headband and the “Flip” can easily be worn with this accessory.So dress it up with either a wide polyester or crocheted or satin or elasticised headband.You can include a bow, feather, bandana or sash and your hairstyle will be back in the 1960s ready to rock and roll!