New York has a long history of vineyards, starting with the Dutch settlers 400 years ago. In the last 30 years, New York wineries have exploded from only 19 to more than 200 today.
The Chautauqua-Lake Eire Wine Region
The Chautauqua-Lake Erie Region contains more than 20,000 acres of vineyards. Roughly 90% of the grapes grown in this region are Concords used for grape juice, but this Region also produces Seyval and Riesling as well as other wines. Some of the wineries include:
- Merritt Estate Winery, Forestville: Wines include Gewurztraminer, Chardonnay, Chautauqua Niagara, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Late Harvest Delaware, Vidal Ice Wine
- Woodbury Vineyards, Fredonia: Offers Seyval, Chardonnay, Riesling, White Renard, Cabernet Franc, Glacier Ridge Red
- Vetter Vineyards, Westfield: Wines include Cabernet Sauvignon, Chambourcin, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Dry Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Late Harvest Vignoles
- Johnson Estate, Westfield: Offers Vidal Blanc Ice Wine, Liebestropfchen, Chautauqua Blanc, Seyval Blanc, Concord, Chautauqua Rouge
The Long Island Wine Region
The Long Island Wine Region boasts more than 1,900 acres of vineyards and specializes in Merlot, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. Wineries in the Long Island Region include:
- Castello Di Borgese, Cutchogue: Signature wines are Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc. Also offers Meritage and Chardonnay.
- Paumanok Vineyards, Alquebogue: Wines offered include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Dry Riesling, Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Black Late Harvest
- Schneider Vineyards, Riverhead: Wines include Chardonnay, Potato Barn White, Merlot, Cabernet Franc
- Galluccio Family Wineries, Cutchogue: Wines offered include Rose, Pinot Gris, Merlot, Meritage, Cabernet Sauvignon
- Osprey's Dominion Vineyards, Peconic: Wines include Chardonnay, Port, Merlot, Gamay, Pinot Noir, Riesling, Flight Meritage
- Bedell Cellars, Cutchogue: Wines include Chardonnay, Merlot, Viognier, Main Road Red, Main Road White, Gewurztraminer
The North Fork Wine Region
The North Fork Region has more than 1,900 acres dedicated to growing grapes and produces 4,000 tons of the fruit annually. This wine region specializes in wines such as Merlots, Chardonnays and Cabernet Sauvignons.
Wineries in the North Fork Region include:
- Peconic Bay Winery, Cutchogue: Wines offered include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Rose of Merlot, Riesling, Dry Riesling, La Barrique Chardonnay
- Martha Clara Vineyards, Riverhead: Wines include Sauvignon Blanc, Estate Reserve Chardonnay, Syrah, Semillon, Viognier, Cabernet Sauvignon
- Corey Creek Vineyards, Southold: Wines offered include Chardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Noir Rose, Gewurztraminer
Many of the wineries listed, as well as other wineries in these regions, offer tastings and tours. Some of them have special facilities for weddings and other special occasions.