Why Not Choose a Vegan Diet

Man has been known as a meat-eater for a very long time. But in today’s age, some people would prefer to go for a meatless eating habit. Vegans or vegetarians are people who are into eating plant-based foods and they seek the health benefits that are found in dieting such food produce.

Eating green plants like vegetables is a great way in dieting but still one must not take for granted the importance of protein in the body. That is because a human body is composed of 40% dry matter (which is protein based) and the rest of the 60% is mostly water based. Protein is important in the repairing of tissues and cells of the body, increasing the immunity level, and developing the body and muscle mass which helps in making the body physically stronger.

To achieve such amounts of essential nutrients for the body while keeping in mind the dietary routine, knowing the right way is important. One is making a vegetarian recipe or meal at home or you can just go and eat at a vegetarian restaurant. Still, here are some helpful tips on getting that vegan diet you always wanted.

First is to make use of meat-substitute food products like beans to be included in your diet. They look and taste like meat but they are still plants and also possess some proteins. Next is buy the many prepared vegetarian convenience foods that you see at the grocery store. Search for foods that are loaded with important nutrients such as vitamin D and B12, particularly pick up soy products. When you are cooking try to use Tofu or soy crumbles which absorbs seasonings and they also have mild-tasting flavors. Eat dark-green leafy vegetables, which are rich in iron and gives calcium. If you have salads, soups or stews add beans, nuts, or seeds on top to add some protein in them. Choose low and non-fat dairy products. Lastly try going for meatless a day for a week, especially for first timers or people who are still new to the ways of having a vegetarian diet.

Below is a vegan recipe you can actually do or make your own at home.

Low-Fat Eggplant Lasagna Recipe This is an excellent vegetarian lasagna recipe that is full of healthy eggplants and spinach. It uses no cheese so it’s much lower in fat than the traditional lasagna.

  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
  • 1 medium eggplant diced
  • 1 64-ounce jar pre-made tomato sauce
  • 1 lb lasagna noodle

First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then heat the olive oil on a medium frying pan over medium heat. Next sauté the garlic for 2 minutes, then add the eggplant and stir. Cover the frying pan and cook the eggplant about 5 – 7 minutes until it becomes tender. Cover the bottom of a 9×12 inch baking pan with 2 cups of tomato sauce, and then cover with 4 or 5 uncooked lasagna noodles over the tomato sauce. Cover it with a thin layer of sauce, then add the cooked eggplant and add another thin layer of tomato sauce. Add another layer of lasagna noodles then another thin layer of sauce, then the spinach and another layer of sauce. Add the remaining noodle and sauce.

Cover tightly with a foil and bake it for 45-50 minutes. The noodles are cooked if they can be pierced by a fork. This makes six servings of eggplant and spinach lasagna and each serving contains 16.3 grams of protein.

Having a natural, meatless eating habit is a great thing. For beginners, just try to take things slowly at first to help your body adapt to the change in your diet. And also don’t forget to take some exercise once in awhile to add to your daily routine to have a well-balanced and fit lifestyle.

Source of Why Not Choose a Vegan Diet by Niko Wintaker – author of Why Not Choose a Vegan Diet article

Help our FoodBlog to survive and SHARE!