Marble tiles make amazingly beautiful floors. They are soft stones belonging to the family of limestone. This stone is a delicate stone and can wear off easily if proper care is not taken. Let us look at some simple steps, which help in retaining the shine of marble tiles.
1. Simple everyday cleaning- Less is always more when it comes to quick cleaning and touch-up of marble. Soft cloth, preferably one with microfibers, is good for cleaning. Warm, distilled water is recommended to clean marble countertops. Do not air-dry the marble surfaces, as they have a tendency to leave water spots. Do dust-mopping on a daily basis to retain the shine on marble tiles.
2. Bring out the big guns for special occasions – Marble is a delicate stone, so do not go overboard in cleaning it. If you want to do some special and deep cleaning for special occasions, then use neutral-pH soap. Acetone for dark marble and hydrogen peroxide for light marble is good when mixed with water. Clear ammonia is also good when used in dilution with water for cleaning purposes.
3. Rinse thoroughly – Whatever cleaning product you are using to clean the marble surfaces, remember to rinse them thoroughly. Make sure that there is no residue left and dry out the surface completely after rinsing.
4. Clean acidic stains immediately – Wine, orange juice, some soft drinks and tomatoes are not good for your marble flooring or countertop. To retain the shine, you need to blot the spills immediately and not wipe or rub. If there still is a stain, then use a commercial stain remover or a homemade remover. You can make your own stain remover by mixing baking soda with water and making it into a paste. Use alcohol to remove oil-based stains.
5. Protection is better- Use coasters to save your marble from staining or scratching. Avoid rust stains by not using metal containers. Use ceramic or stone containers on marble countertops. Place rugs in areas that witness high-traffic. Use pads for the furniture on marble flooring.
6. Shine your floor or countertops – Use a commercial polish to use on marble and bring back its shine. After polishing the surface with a commercial polish, use a chamois and use it on the surface. Chamois is made from mixing baking soda and water. This is rubbed on the surface and left to dry for a few hours. Rinse and wipe with a fresh cloth dipped in crushed chalk. Rinse and dry the surface thoroughly.
7. Sealant increases the life of marble tiles – A porous stone like marble definitely requires a good quality sealant. This protects the surface of the stone from losing its shine and staining. Re-apply sealers every few years and keep them shining for many years.