A piece of cake and a cup of tea will give any evening a perfect start. This Easy Cinnamon Tea Cake is my all time favorite. I love the earthy aroma of cinnamon in my cake, and the coffee adds up the extra zing to the cake. My kids don't enjoy this delicacy as most of kids do not like coffee and cinnamon flavors. All the more better, I get to indulge in it all by myself, with a few slices spared for my dear hubby
- 1 cup of All purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup of wholewheat flour
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp. of vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp. of instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp. of Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp. of Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of Vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup of Curd or Yogurt
- 1/2 cup of strong coffee decoction
Method: Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180 ° C. Grease a rectangular tin for baking the cake and keep it aside. Take a big vessel and sift the two kinds of flour with baking powder, coffee, powder, cinnamon powder and salt for at least three times.
Take another vessel and beat powdered sugar and oil till it is light and fluffy, for about 10 minutes.
Add the curd, coffee decoction, vanilla essence and vinegar in the sugar and oil mixture and stir it thoroughly. Keep 1 tsp. of sugar aside.
Gently mix in the liquid mix in the dry flour. Mix the whole batter very lightly till it resembles a uniform paste. Do not over mix, just 10-12 strokes will do
Pour the prepared batter in the baking tin and sprinkle 1 tsp. of sugar over it. Bake it at 180 ° C for about 25-30 minutes or till done.
Insert a clean knife and take it out, if it comes clean the cinnamon tea cake is ready, else bake it for a few more minutes.
Take out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. Cut it in desired shape and serve with tea or coffee. Stays good for a week.
- Baking temperate varies from oven to oven. I baked this cake in the convection mode of my microwave. You must know the perfect temperature of your oven which will be good for baking. Normally 180 ° c – 200 ° c is good for baking cakes.
- Try baking smaller cakes initially to get the feel of correct consistency of batter used and the temperature required to bake. Switch to bigger cakes once you are familiar & comfortable with baking.
- Always measure the ingredients before baking. Measuring cups and spoons are a few important gadgets in the kitchen.
- Better start baking Muffins before baking a cake, as these require less of technical detail and often come out well.
- Add dates puree (Dates boiled in water and pureed) instead of coffee decoction for a different flavor and added health benefits.