Organic Food

The average conventionally-grown apple has 20-30 artificial poisons on its skin, even after rinsing.

Organic food is grown and stored without the use of artificial pesticides and fertilisers. The fact that residues remain on conventional foods and are consumed by us over decades, accumulating in our fatty tissues is well documented.

Organic food is, in general, food produced without the use of artificial pesticides, herbicides, and in many definitions genetically modified organisms (GMOs). At present, there is no universally accepted definition of organic food.

The USDA has identified for three categories of labeling organic products:

100% Organic: Made with 100% organic ingredients

Organic: Made with at least 95% organic ingredients

Made With Organic Ingredients: Made with a minimum of 70% organic ingredients with strict restrictions on the remaining 30% including no GMO (genetically modified organisms)

Products with less than 70% organic ingredients may list organically produced ingredients on the side panel of the package, but may not make any organic claims on the front of the package.

Proponents of industrial agriculture state that synthetic biocides, soluble fertilizers and genetic engineering are necessary to feed the world's growing population.

Data from the advanced agricultural economies of North America, Australia and Europe show that best practice organics can deliver equal to and significantly better yields than current conventional agricultural practices.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, all foods – whether organic or not – are exposed to the agricultural chemicals that are now present in nearly all rain and groundwater due to their overuse during the last 50 years.

Copyright Glenda Erceg.

For more organic food resources visit http://www.organicgardeningcentre.com .



Source of Organic Food by Glenda Erceg – author of Organic Food article

Help our FoodBlog to survive and SHARE!